Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Just Okay"

"Just Okay".

The answer my son gives to everything so far on the 3rd Annual Lipton Family Driving Trip. From the absolute wild splendor of Big Sur to the quiet dusky golden hills above Santa Barbara from a tent right before the sun ducks behind the far hill. The only times he's been enthusiastic are: 1) in the Musee Mechanique on Pier 39--a pier full of mechanical games from Europe in the 1800's; 2) Everything about Point Lobos; and 3) the breakfast at Deetjens Big Sur Lodge.

It's annoying, especially when I'm having such a wonderful time, but like the book I've been reading "The Geography of Bliss", it's all relative to the person who is experiencing the place. My husband and I are satisfied by the beauty of mile upon mile of craggy cliff...to a 10-yr old, probably not so much.

But today it all came together on the pier at Avila Beach and later at the safari tent at El Capitan Canyon...I cooked our dinner over a campfire, aided by a nice bottle of local Pinot Gris, and smores rounded out the night as the kids played with the kids from the tent next door. As we settled down for the night our kids asked questions about the bears and cougars the signs warned about. We told them that's why they were in the bed next to the tent opening...ahhhh, the lol on their little faces.

Tomorrow is horse back riding and sea kayaking...while I will be happy in both places, I'm not holding out for more than an "okay" from my son...and a chicken cluck from my daughter (which is a whole other story), but of not, then I have no doubt that his bliss will be found a mile or two or 100 down the road.

We all have a geographic place of bliss in each of us, even when we don't know it until we are right in the middle of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment