Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I thought 1 was a lonely number but 11 is painful OR A Parental Dilemma

My tiny baby boy turned 11 recently.  And it's been like a light switch has been thrown for him---he's been in his room more, out riding his bike more, less communicative more often, more teen-like in some of his mumbled "asides"--and in his not-so-mumbled ones.  I'm missing him and his innate sweetness more.  Now it could be I'm just imagining all of this, but I'm not, he's pulled a way a bit and it is hurting.


So I am reveling in the current situation....he lost another tooth and, as he told me last night, he has been waiting patiently for the Tooth Fairy to arrive.  Feeling bad that we hadn't had the tooth fairy scheduled, I reminded my husband to take care of it while Max was at school.  His reply?


"HE'S ELEVEN!"  Meaning, I guess, that Lowell believes he's too old for this type of thing.  Bah Humbug! I say.  If my son still believes in the Tooth Fairy, I want to support that believe in the magic of childhood.



Lowell then explains that my son is probably just angling for some cold, hard cash...and that, and I'm directly quoting him here,  "I think he should pay us back for the perfectly good tooth we bio-engineered for him which he had the gall to wear-out!"

Which brings me to my current dilemma--this would be funny.  Actually very funny and my son would totally fall for it, which means a lot of fun for my husband and I while our kids sit there trying to figure out if we are pulling their leg or not.  We could spin this out for a good hour or so over dinner.  Good fun.  Good times.

But I have to weigh this against the possibility that if he were to get $1 from the Tooth Fairy he'd revert to the sweet, cuddly boy of yesteryear.  

Arghhh!  Why is parenting so hard?  Do I go for the definitely funny or the possible cuddle?  

Hell, there really was never a true choice...the definitely funny is going to win out every time in this family.  Besides, I can get a cuddle when he's not paying attention, or sleeping, or in front of his friends, which will achieve both!  OMG--that's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment