Thursday, April 22, 2010

Debating God(s) at Midnight

He had her at 'polytheistic'.

My husband sat on the edge of the bed at my request, as mine and my daughters' conversation had deteriorated to a series of "Nu-huhs" and "Uh-uhs".  He was attempting to clear up some confusion that he had caused earlier in the day about the historical reality of Christianity versus Judaism versus Buddhism. 

My part of the conversation started only a few minutes earlier when she turned over and asked to ask  '...just one more question'.  It had to do with the Holy Trinity and that God was a man, but then what were the other Gods, and so on and so forth.  I parsed her commentary and went with what I thought was easiest...that there were many religions in the world and they were all different and good, but that Christians/Cathloics believed that there was only one God. 

"Nu-huh...Daddy said Christians believe in many gods."
"Well," I said carefully.  "I think you might have heard him wrong, or be confused by his answer because that isn't right."
"Uh-huh" she said.  Now I was confused...was she Nuh-huh and I was Uh-huh. Or was it visa-versa.
"Dad!".  We'd go straight to the source.  Looking back, that was a bit of a mistake.

I explained the issue quickly and he, this loveable man of mine, launches into a discussion about the the difference between polytheistic and monotheistic and how religions throughout history had changed over time and that.....

She was, ironically, in heaven...this is what her questions in the deep dark were meant to do--commence a conversation that kept her intrigued until she tired out, typically far later than the rest of us.  I harrumphed and turned over and let them, my own little Colbert and Carell religious debating duo, go at it for a while.  She was crossing herself like crazy and talking about what "he" looks like because 'girl gods give her the creeps', oy vey. 

While they "chatted" I thought about it and I knew it was time to bring the books back out...you see, we are a blended faith family.  I am Catholic, my husband is Jewish. We each follow our faiths in our own way and we are together in trying to teach our children about each religion and those of the world. 

This results in lots of questions that we can't always answer, or in a situation where we (she says snarkily) don't answer the questions in a manner that is in any way helpful.  Polytheistic. Wtih a 7-year old. Really?! 

So, the two books that I think do the best at explaining the conundrum that is religion to children are  Old Turtle by Douglas Wood and What is God? by Etan Boritzer.   Old Turtle comes at it from a naturalistic fable point of view, with a wonderfully strong plea for universal acceptance.  What is God? does a fantastic job of explaining about the different belief systems, their similarities and differences, their persona, their 'books' and more.  Separately they are great and beautiful, with wonderful illustrations to boot.  Together, they are fantastic--especially if you want to ground your children in knowledge, but not close down their natural curiosity about such a vast subject.

Anyway, back to last night.  Finally, they wind down, we shut it down, and, with a combined heartfelt plea, beg for her to go to sleep! Kisses all around and then dark and quiet and cuddly, just the two of us again.

And then I heard her whisper, "I am smarter than you".

And then it was my turn to talk to God. Harrumph again

No comments:

Post a Comment